There are foods that can help keep your skin young by keeping your cells healthy, protecting from them free radicals, and rebuilding and repairing important collagen and eslastin cells. Factors such as smoking, exposure to sun, stress, and diet can all contribute to the appearance of your skin. For younger looking skin it is important to combine eating the right foods with eliminating things that are known to cause poor health.
Not only can the following foods help with younger looking skin, but they can also be beneficial for the rest of your body as they build brainpower, lower cholesterol, and improve sleep. A good rule of thumb is to have a colorful array of foods on your plate. Also make sure to check out our list of foods that keep you young. Here are some of the top foods that keep your skin looking young:
1. Romaine lettuce is a great source vitamin A which revitalizes skin by increasing cell turnover. The potassium in the romaine also gives skin a boost of nutrients.
2. Tomatoes can help prevent the skin from sunburn which means more protection from the sun. They can also boost collagen, which prevents sagging.
3. Dark green vegetables such as broccoli and sea vegetables also have proven to help keep skin looking young.
1. Strawberries are a great source of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that can boost collagen production. The ellagic acid in strawberries protects the elastic fibers that keep skin from sagging.
2. Apple peels contain quercetin which can help provide protection from UVB sun rays that trigger skin cancer.
3. Berries such as blueberries and acai berries also protect skin and keep it looking young.
1. Soy can help with fine wrinkles and skin firmness. Soy proteins can also help reduce your risk of certain cancers and diabetes.
2. Eggs contain the antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin which protect the skin against UV damage. It can also make the skin softer, firmer, and better hydrated.
3. Fish is another great protein that improves skin. Coldwater fish such as salmon, tuna, and sardines are known to have the best skin benefits.
Nuts and Seeds:
1. Almonds can boost your level of vitamin E, one of the most important antioxidants for healthy skin. They can also help provide moisture for those who are prone to dryness.
2. Walnuts store alpha-linolenic acid that keeps the skin moist and supple.
3. Pumpkin seeds are packed full of vitamin E, zinc, and magnesium. These help promote regeneration of skin cells.
1. Cocoa made with dark chocolate is high in flavonoids which can help make skin appear softer, mother, and better hydrated.
2. Extra-virgin olive oil is a healthy fat that contains essential fatty acids that help skin resist UV damage. The body cannot synthesize essential fatty acids so it is good to consume about 1 tablespoon of olive oil to keep skin supple.
3. Flaxseed oil is another source of essential fatty acids that your body cannot make on its own.