When you evaluate a respite care program, first check to see if the program is licensed by the state where you live. Also make sure that the caregivers have the qualifications necessary for the job. Here are a few good questions to ask the respite care program managers to assess their credentials:
1. Can we meet an interview the people who will be providing the respite care?
2. Do you provide transportation for the caregiver? For our loved one?
3. Are we limited to a certain number of hours for services?
4. How are the caregivers screened for their jobs?
5. Does the program keep an active file on our loved one’s condition and needs?
6. How are the caregivers trained? Do they receive extra training, if needed, to meet specific needs?
7. How are the caregivers supervised and evaluated?
8. What are the costs for the respite care? What all is included in that cost?
9. How far ahead of time do we need to call to arrange services?
10. How do the caregivers handle emergency situations? What training to they receive to deal with unexpected situations?
11. How is the program evaluated? Do you have any previous reviews we can see? (Look at all previous comments or reviews)
If you are allowed to interview the caregivers providing the in-home respite care, here are some questions you may want to ask:
1. Are you insured and by whom?
2. Do you have any references and who are they?
3. Do you have any special skills that could help you with this job?
4. What is your background and training in care giving?
5. Tell us about your past experiences in providing respite care.
6. Have you ever worked with a senior with the same medical condition as our loved one?
7. How would you handle …? (Cite example of challenges you have encountered with giving care to your loved one)
8. When are you available and do you have a back up or assistant if you are unable to come when expected?
9. Who should I talk to at your agency if I am concerned about something?
10. Why did you leave your last job?
11. Why are you interested in this job?
To find a great respite care agency in your area visit this page: Senior Home Care