Here are our “Top 10” tips that will help you when taking your tour:
- Tip #1: Talk to the residents and staff. Try to get a feel for the community. Ask residents about their community experiences.
- Tip #2: Have a meal at the facility. Look to see if the dining hours and food choices are flexible.
- Tip #3: Participate in an activity. Look to see if there is an activity calendar posted and if the activities meet your needs.
- Tip #4: Visit a couple times at different hours of the day.
- Tip #5: Take note of how you were greeted by the staff and if you were offered assistance.
- Tip #6: Observe the staff and resident interactions. Make sure the staff is patient and kind. Look to see if you are greeted by staff and residents as you tour.
- Tip #7: Check to see if the buildings are clean and odor free.
- Tip #8: Meet the General Manager and other key staff. Find out how many staff members are schedule throughout the day and in the evening.
- Tip #9: Ask about staff training and credentials. Find out if there is a licensed nurse on staff and how often this nurse is in the building.
- Tip #10: Find out how health problems are handled, both emergency and non-emergency problems.
To find Assisted Living facilities, Independent Living facilities, or Retirement Communities near you please visit our respective pages.